Friday, August 3, 2012

End Of An Era

Baking has defined me for a long time. It has been a dream come true to bake professionally and I never in a million years thought I would walk away from it.

But things change. Life changes. Sometimes, you have a million tasks on your plate and something's gotta give. I was balancing cake making, cooking parties and corporate team building events in my business along with a family and 20 hours of volunteer work a week. When I sat down and decided that it was time to simplify, cake creation was the clear frontrunner to be dropped.

I love it. I always will. And somehow I believe that I may end doing more baking than before, but it'll be on my own terms now. I have incredible customers who have sustained my business, stretched my creativity and honoured me by including me in their celebrations. However, any cake maker will tell you that it's not a glamourous job. And even worse, at the end of the day, we often make under $5/hour. Not exactly easy to raise a family on.

So here I sit, as my final wedding cupcake order is patiently waiting to be finished and I feel relief. This year, as both my children are in school, I will become a full-time volunteer. I will work part-time AND I will prepare myself for a new chapter... one that includes returning to school next September and God-willing, full-time work in the NFP sector.

It's a good thing.




*If you were a NOURISH customer, I thank you. I love you. I appreciate you. You helped me make my dream of professional baking possible and it is because you were all so good to me that I am able to take this next step in my journey.*

No comments:

Post a Comment